Thursday, February 19, 2009

Can I pull this off?



Some of you may be wondering 'Pull what off?'. I'm not pulling off my mask or pulling down my pants. I'm not pulling off anything tangible, but rather the intangible. It's a figure of speech. Anyway, I'm just doubting if I can conduct a drum class.

I was asked if I could teach a bunch of kids how to play the drums in church. I said 'Yeah, sure'. The problem arises here where I have to come out with a curriculum since it is a drum class. DRUM CLASS. Hmm...curriculum? Well, I have a problem coming out with a curriculum because I dunno how a drum curriculum is supposed to be like. XD

A little bit of history here, I've never had formal drum training; not even an ounce of drum education. I'm more of a naturalist (if there is such a term), a self-taught drummer. I listen, observe and pick up how other drummers play.

So, asking me to draw out a curriculum will be challenging. Not impossible, thanks to Joseph who will be my co-teacher. Even then, it's still going to be tough. At least, Joseph has formal training.

Apart from the drum class, I will also be coaching two other students. Wesley and Andy. This will be a one to one thingy, more personal. And I don't have to come out with a curriculum. I just teach what comes through my mind. =)

To sidetrack a little, Andy wants to call me sifu drum. I told him 'No need lah'. Sifu sounds so old when I'm still young. He's still figuring out what to call me. -_- haha

Whether I can pull this off or not, remains to be seen. I'll just put it in God's hands and do the best I can as a form of service to God.

No comments: