Sunday, January 4, 2009

Caroling! Part II

I'm kind of lazy to write on this but I don't like to leave it hanging. I've lost the hype on caroling already plus my memory ain't fresh. Anyway, once started I intend to complete it for the sake of completion. Haha

The 2nd caroling night could have been better. We went to 2 homes. The first home we dropped by was a house somewhere in Kelana Jaya. It's a nice bangalow. Why I said it could have been better was because we were treated like stage entertainers. At least, I felt that way. I don't know about the rest.

After we performed, we were given a small piece of cake and iced water. Well, at least something. But most of our stomachs rumbled in unison. We were actually looking forward to the refreshments as our dinner. But only the guest were happily chomping down food. And then we performed our last song and were sent off packing with a gift.

I heard the gift was nice. A photo frame and Ferrero Rocher or something like that. I forgot about it and left it in Uncle Danny's car. What a waste. Anyway, it all felt like some part time job. You strut your stuff or job and then you get paid or bestowed some reward. I expected more from homes since homes are associated with warmth and informality.

Maybe why I felt that way was because the homes that we've been to before were homes that were filled with some church members among the audience. So in a sense the carolers and audience are 'kaki lang' or in other words 'own people'.

So of course we would treat each other like how we treat our friends or relatives who visit us.
They would offer us mountainous food and bottomless drinks. Of course I'm exaggerating here, but you get the point.

Our last home before we called it a day was Uncle Aaron Andy's place. This time we combined with Chacha. And how ironic it is for Theva to perform at his own house.

The highlight this time goes to the tenors. Lol, myself, Keenan and Ming Yan. There was this carol, O little town of Bethlehem and we decided to be a wee bit ambitious. I can't remember who initiated it but we attempted to harmonize.

Our harmonizing ended up in chokes of strangled laughter and weird stares from the bass. Our so called harmonizing never actually harmonized with the melody, but it seemed more like 3 tone deafed people. Lol! My salute to my comrades Ming Yan and Keenan, haha. May we try that again next year. Haha

This time around we had more refreshments compared to the earlier house; much to the delight and relief of the Alpha group. But then again, we have our counterparts from Chacha to share with. So more men less share.

No comments: